Now that 2016 is in full swing, I’ve been thinking a lot about my goals for this year. It’s always a little scary to write out your goals because that makes them real. And it’s even scarier to put them on a blog because that means they’re public. *cringe*
BUT, I’m going to do it anyway. Hopefully this will make me accountable to myself and to everyone else who reads this. So, here it goes…
1) Complete my novel manuscript this spring.
2) Create a list of agents and begin querying (and perhaps softly weeping. No, no, just kidding!)
3) Complete a rough draft of a new YA novel by the end of summer.
4) Finish a revision of that novel by the end of 2016 (at least).
5) Revise the picture book manuscript I’ve been working on and write drafts for two other picture book ideas.
6) Attend 1-2 SCBWI conferences.
Whew! I’m already exhausted.
There are other goals I’d love to meet as well, but above are the ones I can control. I can write and revise to the best of my ability. I can attend writing meetings, workshops, and conferences. I can query agents.
I can’t control whether an agent will offer me representation or an editor will take a liking to my work.
(Boy, wouldn’t that be nice though? ;))