Usually I would say that it’s hard to believe another year is done, but honestly I don’t feel that way this year. I think the majority of the country has been counting down to the end of 2016 because...well, it’s been a YEAR.
My hope is that the fresh start of 2017 will be the beginning of better times. I’m nothing if not hopeful!
Despite some of the negative national & global events that happened this year, I feel like 2016 was a pretty good year for me writing-wise. I completed older projects and started new ones, I made new friends and grew closer to others, I jumped back into querying, and I read more books this year than I have in the past five years. All in all, I’d say it’s been a success!
Here are the goals I wrote in a post at the beginning of this year and how I did:
1) Complete my novel manuscript this spring.
2) Create a list of agents and begin querying (and perhaps softly weeping. No, no, just kidding!)
Check (No comment on the weeping part!)
3) Complete a rough draft of a new YA novel by the end of summer.
4) Finish a revision of that novel by the end of 2016 (at least).
Well…the revision is half done so far. That’s something right?!
5) Revise the picture book manuscript I’ve been working on and write a second picture book ms.
6) Attend 1-2 SCBWI conferences.
Looking at everything I accomplished this year makes me feel a little more positive about 2016. And I’m already thinking of a new list for 2017…more to come on that soon!
I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!